Why I despise religion
I have been challenged by one Johan Swarts and one Frank Botha (the latter claiming a predilection for people like me for breakfast and therefore I have indicated that I shall rather not take him on – I’s too afraid) on my attacks on religion. Why, they wish to know, do I focus on religion when there are so many alternative falsehoods and atrocities ostensibly much more deserving of aggress.
How about this…
- Cain’s fratricide for falling foul of God’s standard (Genesis 4)
- Jephthah’s filicide – in God’s name (Judges 11:29, 39)
- Moses’ amicicide in – God’s name (Exodus 32:27, 29)
- Elijah’s episcopicide – in God’s name (1 Kings 18:40)
- Elisha’s femicide of Jezebel – in God’s name (2 Kings 9)
- Jehu’s hereticide of the priests of Baal – in God’s name (2 Kings 10)
The murderous God…
- The entire population of the earth except for eight survivors (Genesis 7:23)
- Every inhabitant of Sodom and Gomorrah except for one family (Genesis 19:24)
- Every first born of Egypt (Exodus 12:29)
- All the hosts of the Pharaoh, including the captains of 600 chariots (Exodus 14:27,28)
- Amalek and his people (Exodus 17:11,16)
- 3,000 Israelites (Exodus 32:27)
- Homosexuals (Leviticus 20:13)
- 250 Levite princes (Numbers 16:1-40)
- 14,700 Jews (Numbers 16:41-49)
- All the subjects of Og (Numbers 21:34, 35)
- 24,000 Israelites who lived with Moabite women (Numbers 25:4,9)
- All the males, kings, and non-virgin females of the Midianites (Numbers 31:7,8)
- The Ammonites (Deuteronomy 2:19-21)
- The Horims (Deuteronomy 2:22)
- All the Hittites (Deuteronomy 7:1)
- All the Girgashites (Deuteronomy 7:1)
- All the Amorites (Deuteronomy 7:1)
- All the Canaanites (Deuteronomy 7:1)
- All the Perizzites (Deuteronomy 7:1)
- All the Hivites (Deuteronomy 7:1)
- All the Jebusites (Deuteronomy 7:1)
- All the citizens of Jericho, except for a prostitute and her family (Joshua 6)
- 12,000 citizens of Ai (Joshua 8:1-30)
- All the people of Makkedah (Joshua 10:28)
- All the people of Libnah (Joshua 10:29, 30)
- All the people of Gezer (Joshua 10:33)
- All the people of Lachish (Joshua 10:32)
- All the people of Eglon (Joshua 10:34, 35)
- All the people of Hebron (Joshua 10:36, 37)
- All the inhabitants of the country of the hills, and of, the south, and the vale, and of the springs and all their kings (Joshua 10:40)
- All 31 kings and inhabitants of their countries, and south country, and the land of Goshen, and the valley, and the plain, and the mountain of Israel, and the valley of the same from Mt. Halak to Mt. Hermon (Joshua 11:12,16,17; 12:24)
- 10,000 Moabites (Judges 3:29)
- 10,000 Perizzites and Canaanites (Judges 1:4)
- 600 Phillistines (Judges 3:31)
- All of Sisera (Judges 4:16)
- 120,000 Midianites (Judges 8:10)
- 1,000 Philistines (Judges 15:16)
- 25,100 Benjaminites (Judges 20:35)
- 50,070 people of Bethshemesh (I Samuel 6:19)
- All the Amalekites (I Samuel 15:3,7)
- The armies and five kings of the Amorites (Amos 3:2)
- The Moabites and 22,000 Syrians (II Samuel 8:2,5,6,14)
- 40,000 Syrian horsemen (II Samuel 10:18)
- 100,000 Syrian footmen, followed by 27,000 who are all crushed by a wall (I Kings 20:28,29,30)
- 42 children eaten by a bear (II Kings 2:23, 24)
- 185,000 Assyrians killed by an angel (II Kings 19:35)
- 10,000 Edomites, followed by 10,000 more (II Chronicles 28)
- 120,000 Judeans (II Chronicles 28)
- 75,000 Persians (Esther 9:16)
- Ambrose and the invention of saints and the subordination of women and anti-semitism – in God’s name.
- John Chrysostom and the destruction of pagan shrines and anti-semitism and the defence of slavery – in God’s name.
- Augustine and forced conversions and the crushing of intellectualism – in God’s name.
- The gynaecide of Hypatia (370 – 415) – in God’s name.
- Coverting the heathen, by sword – in God’s name.
- Christianizing Ireland, by violence – in God’s name.
- Ten centuries of carnage, from Pope John XII in the 10th century through the Crusades and the christianization of the Americas and pogroms and witch hunts and slavery… to Pope Benedict XVI in the 21st century. Benedict? Aye! Thou shalt not have (protected) sex… a death sentence as certain as an auto-da-fé. In God’s name.
- The modernicide of Theo van Gogh – in God’s name.
- From Srebrenica and 9/11 and Bali and Gujarat, to Turkey and Beslan and Hai al-Amaal, and from the Islamboeli in Ossetia and the Djemaah Islamijah in Pantai Jimbaran to breaking news on CNN, singular interpretation of the dictates of a god with the manners and the morals of a mollycoddled minor has seen multitudes maimed and massacred.
I’m afraid this is all I can offer against religion.
O, there’s one more reason I despise religion: Angus Buchan. Although, the more he speaks the more ridiculous religion becomes. Go Angus!